Bullet journaling has been around for some time but with the expansion of social media, in particular Instagram, it’s blown up to become a cult form of journaling.
Bullet journals are supposed to help you use your creativity and get more done using to-do lists, but if you’re just beginning, where do you start? We reached into our bullet journal notebook collection to pull out five for comparison purposes so we can help to answer that question.
Let's break down the best notebooks.
Top 5 Bullet Journal Notebooks Comparison Chart
Best Bullet Journal Reviews
1. Lemome Dotted Leather Notebook/Journal
Many people use bullet journaling as a way to express their creativity and get things out of their mind and onto paper, but there is so much more that can be done with it. Our first choice on our comparison list is the Lemome Dotted Leather Notebook. The price is incredible for what you get and most reviews are very positive.
The beautifully designed Lemome bullet journals are available with a variety of page designs including ruled, squared, blank and dotted. The cover is constructed to protect the pages, while the pages are measured correctly for drawing (even with Sharpies), writing, keeping track of plans or just writing down thoughts. The binding of the journal holds its shape, and the suede cover doesn’t pull away from the pages.
When using the journal, we did notice a small amount of page bleeding and ghosting when using heavier markers, and it would have been useful to have an elastic strap to hold the journal shut. Also, the dots on the pages were lighter than we would have liked.
- ELEGENT & FLEXIBLE - Concise and elegent Dream Tree design gives extinctive appearance for the journal. Flexible but durable cover adapts to the movements of body without damage. It can folded and fits comfortably in any pocket or backpack. 5 x 8 inch notebooks are the perfect size for journaling, daily planning, or note taking, either at your desk or on the go.
- MEDIUM (A5) JOURNAL - The dotted grid pattern features dots that help guide your writings, our dots, spaced 5 mm apart, are light enough to blend in once the page is filled. Its perfect used as brainstorming ideas, creative writing, bullet journaling, planning a holiday, keeping track of your workouts, or just doodling and drawing!
- ARCHIVAL QUALITY PAPER - The paper is thicker 20%-50% than normal can resist feathering, ghosting, and bleeding, without any extra bulk. Our paper is smooth, and acid-free, and makes an elegant backdrop for whatever media you use. Minimal ghosting may occur with very wet inks. Alcohol-based markers are not recommended.
- DURABLE & ATTRACTIVE- Our luxurious soft suade cover with skilled sewn and glued craft resist pages to peel away from the cover, The binding of the journal is really strong, it will hold its shape well for a long period of time. Our classic notebook are able to lie almost completely flat once broken in. Give you smooth writing experience.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - If you don't love it for any quality reason, Just return it and we'll replace it or send you a refund. Customer's satisfaction is our greatest pursuit and high quality is always our goal.
2. Minimalism Art Classic Ruled Notebook
The second journal is the Minimalism Art Classic Ruled Notebook that has been an Amazon Choice and is highly rated by customers for a long time. While there are a variety of options available including notebooks with different colors and page choices, for the sake of this article we are looking at the A5, ruled paper version.
This notebook motivates you to write. The paper is smooth and pleasant to the touch with minimal bleeding and ghosting, though the parchment is on the thinner side. The binding is stitched nicely and doesn’t crack when opening the notebook entirely, while the cover is high-quality, durable and soft. It’s also a great size and lightweight, which makes it easier to carry around.
Unfortunately, the pages aren’t numbered with this journal, but if you don’t mind drawing them in, it shouldn’t deter you from purchasing it. There also isn’t any index, and the ruled lines were a faint blue.
- Size: 5"X8.3"; A5,; 192 Pages (96 Sheets); Page Layout: Ruled/Lined ; Paper Weight: 100 gsm
- Premium Smooth PU leather Hard Cover with elastic closure and bookmark ribbon; Internal Accordion Pocket; Sturdy design ensures your journal will last for years to come
- Quality Paper - 100 gsm: Excellent for fountains pens and ink. No feathering and bleeding. Thick paper.Strong Binding: The pages don't get peeled away from the cover. Rounded case binding is holding the pages tight.
- We have Both "Ruled","Plain", "Dotted" and" Squared" Version, "A4", "A5", "B5", "A6"and "A7" Size,"Soft Leather Cover" and "Hard Leather Cover" .Please find them in our store.
- DESIGNED in San Francisco: Our team bring premium quality product at an affordable price from San Francisco. You may leave your heart in San Francisco, but don't leave without a notebook full of memory for your time.
3. Markings by C.R. Gibson MJ5-4792 Genuine Bonded Leather Journal
Now that we’re halfway through the list, we bet you’re as inspired to do some creative writing as we are. You can’t do it if you still don’t have a journal, though. Next up, we’re looking at this journal from Markings by C.R. Gibson. It’s a genuinely bonded leather journal, and the exceptionally favorable consumer reviews are what make it a contender for the title of best bullet journal notebook.
Using this notebook was easier than expected. The durable cover stood up against water damage, being tossed into and pulled out of bags, and even dirty hands. The paper has a nice weight and has very minimal bleeding and ghosting. Other positives to the journal include the elastic band that holds it shut and the place marker.
One thing we noticed is that the notebook doesn’t lay completely flat, which could make it challenging for left-handed writers to use. We also saw that you sometimes have to hold down the page as you write.
- Brown leather journal includes 240 ruled pages with 32 lines per page.
- Brown bonded leather journal measures 5'' x 8.2''.
- This brown journal is bound with Smyth sewn binding to lay flat as you write!
- Brown bonded leather journal includes ribbon marker and elastic band closure.
- Perfect for lists, notes to self, journaling, doodling, and more, this stylish brown leather notebook is a great gift for students.
4. Robrasim Refillable Handmade Traveler’s Notebook
The Robrasim Traveler’s Notebook brings a mystical edge to journaling, and there was no way that it could get left out with its stunning design and multiple uses. While this notebook is a touch more expensive than the others, we happen to think the price is more than worth it. Find out why below.
There are more pros than cons that come with this notebook, and the aesthetics are one of the best things about it. Unlike notebooks that look worse the more you break them in, this traveler’s notebook actually looks better when the leather gets worn in. It comes in a variety of sizes that make it a suitable option for anyone looking to start journaling.
The piece of elastic that holds the notebook shut is the same one that keeps the middle of it together so if it's difficult to replace if necessary. There was minimum bleeding, the different types of paper inside of the journal are of good quality and the design itself is very durable. We did notice that the metal tag continuously flipped over, so we ended up removing it to get better use.
- DURABLE GENUINE LEATHER TRAVEL NOTEBOOK - Made from Classy & Durable Top Layer Genuine Leather with a real leather scent, naturally tanned with special oil. Each leather travel notebook is uniquely crafted, no two journals are identical - a special keepsake for your thoughts & ideas.
- PREMIUM THICK PAPER - 100gsm archival-quality pages made from acid-free paper which resists damage from light and air. The leather travel notebook is designed to avoid ink bleeding through and feathering, suitable for most pen types.
- REFILLABLE DESIGN LEATHER TRAVEL NOTEBOOK - Has 3 different refills insert inside (Lined, Blank and Kraft paper) to meet your daily usage, each insert have 64 pages (Counting Both Sides), when one of the notepad is full, it's simple to remove it and refill a new one. Each leather notebook comes with 1 PVC pouch/cardholder that can hold business cards, notes, receipts and other small paper treasures.
- PERFECT SIZE FOR MANY USES - Pocket Size 5.2 x 4", it is perfect to slipping into a pocket, backpack or purse to travel anywhere with you. Great to use as a travel journal, bullet journal, Bible Journaling, daily planner, food planner, business executive, Logbook, artist sketchbooks, sketching, drawing and more.
- 100% RISK FREE PURCHASE - Try it today with the security of our 90 Day Money Back Guarantee - no questions asked. FREE attractive gift box package, best gift for Birthdays, Anniversaries, or for someone starting a new adventure.
5. WERTIOO Leather Journal Notebook
Finishing up our comparison list, we bring the WERTIOO Leather Journal Notebook straight from our best bullet journal notebook collection. It’s a favorite. WERTIOO journals never disappoint, and their reputation, affordability and nearly perfect consumer reviews show why though this might be the last on the list, it certainly isn't the least.
One thing that we noticed instantly with this journal is how easy the pages are to write on, regardless of if you’re right- or left-handed. The hardcover is durable, and the sleek design with a tree embossed into the leather makes it suitable for both men and women of all ages.
There is an elastic strap that keeps the journal shut which is beneficial, and as a bonus, it comes with a bookmark and a ribbon to mark your spot. It has three types of pages including dotted, lined and blank, so all of your journaling needs are met.
There was a small amount of bleeding and ghosting when using heavier pens and markers, and we did find that the dots on the dotted pages were a bit hard to see. Outside of that, the included pocket could have been a bit bigger, but it does fit the bookmark so it's not so bad.
Now that all of our favorite journals have been compared, it’s time to point out which one is our best choice for 2018. We looked at the price range, usage, bleeding and ghosting, page quality, environmentally friendly options and many other specifics to choose what we think is the best.
After all was said and done, we chose the WERTIOO Leather Journal Notebook. Not only does it have an affordable price tag that’s within reach of the majority of writers, it also has almost perfect consumer reviews, multipurpose functions and is all around a beautiful notebook that anyone would find useful.
The multiple types of pages in the journal are just another reason why it was our top pick. It saves you from having to purchase different notebooks to meet your needs. If you’re just starting out with journaling or if you’re someone that’s been doing it for years, we have no doubts that you’re going to love the WERTIOO notebook as much as we did.